How to Find an Immigration Attorney
Immigrating to the United States for permanent residency is an important decision. The procedure is very complex, and requires the help from a qualified and experienced attorney. The United States requires different types of visas and green cards, a large amount of paperwork, reviewing fees, application forms, petitions, and other mandatory data. The process is not something you want to go through alone. One small mistake could cost you your residency status.
Get help from a Los Angeles immigration lawyer
When you do hire an immigration lawyer, make sure you do your homework. You want an attorney who is expert and reliable, someone who will meet all deadlines and ensure all forms are filled out properly.
Keep these tips in mind:
- Your Los Angeles immigration lawyer should practice immigration law and only immigration law. Changes in immigration law are so frequent that you need someone who focuses solely on keeping up with those changes.
- First, make a short list. A resource like Lawyers.com is a good place to start. There, you can find a list of local attorneys dealing in Los Angeles immigration, along with all of their contact information.
- Or, contact the local bar association in your area for referral to local attorneys.
- Make sure the lawyers on your short list appear in the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), a legal association for immigration lawyers only.
- Check with your state’s bar association to ensure the lawyers on your list are in good standing with no outstanding disciplinary actions against them.
- Meet with each lawyer on your short list. Each should provide a free consultation so you can get to know him or her and decide if the relationship is a comfortable fit. Ask questions about his or experience, language fluency, and pricing model.
- Ensure the lawyer you choose has experience with your particular type of immigration case. For example, if your case is a deportation case, you might not want to choose someone who specializes in work visas.
Contact Los Angeles immigration attorneys for a free consultation
Call 323-391-3932 for assistance with your immigration case from a qualified lawyer near you.